Here are the Top Ten Questions (and answers) from the last St. Joseph School Open House:
10. There’s a school here??
A: Yes, it’s been here since 1952!
9. No kidding. What’s the average class size?
8. Huh. So what makes this school different?
A: In a word, “faith.” We have everything a public school has, but we integrate our Catholic faith into everything we do – we start and end our day with prayer, we go to Mass every Friday, and we try to model our lives after Christ.
7. Okay, but what about academics? Does St. Joseph use Common Core?
A: We use “Common Core Plus,” meaning we use Common Core standards as a baseline, but we go beyond them. For example, our second-graders are expected to round numbers to hundreds place, which is not in the Common Core. Unlike public schools, we are not bound to the common core; you can find our standards at www.aod.org/schools/curriculum/k-8/.
6. What about specials and electives?
A: We have art, music, physical education, library media, technology, and Spanish – all Kindergarten through 8th grade.
5. Isn’t it true that Catholic school teachers don’t have to be certified?
A: Absolutely not. Our teachers have the exact same certification requirements as public school teachers.
4. What kind of technology does the school employ?
A: We are in the midst of completing our 1:1 initiative, where every student will use a school-issued tablet device. Students in Kindergarten through 5th grade use iPads, while middle schoolers use Surface Pros. We also have a computer lab, laptop carts, and every classroom has a SMART Board.
3. What kinds of extracurricular opportunities are available?
A: CYO sports (football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and softball), band, choir, spring musical, student council, Destination Imagination, Lego robotics, safety patrol, scouts, National Junior Honor Society, and more!
2. Uh oh, I only have two questions left! I better make these good. Okay, what about transportation?
A: You can either drop off and pick up, or if you live in Lake Orion, busing is available. We also have Extended Day Care before/after school.
1. Okay, I admit that last question was lame. But it’s because I have so many more! How do I learn more??
A: Come for our Open House on Sunday, Jan. 29 from 11:45am-2pm or drop by our school any time on a school day to go on a student-guided tour, ask questions, and chat with teachers. You can also visit www.stjoelo.org and click "School". If you have more questions, contact us.